Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Tasting- Emma Pearl Merlot

The fifth wine I tried on Saturday was the  Emma Pearl Merlot. This was a much more expensive wine than the previous four I tried. The Vintage Cellar sells it at $17.95 per bottle. This is another wine from the Napa Valley in California. According to the website, the Merlot grapes are grown in the "Paso Robles area of San Luis Obispo County" and the wine is aged in oak.
The Emma Pearl website, http://www.emmapearlwine.com/our_wines_emma_pearl_merlot.html describes it as 
Fresh juicy cherries and ripe sun-kissed raspberries grown on California’s Central coast come to mind when swirling the 2009 Merlot in the glass.  On the palate, the welcoming fruit-laced nose gives way to delicate notes of exotic spices, vanilla and soft silky tannins. The finish is velvety smooth with lingering notes of pomegranates and cherries.
 This wine smelled fruity, like raspberries and other red berries and had a very strong taste. It was smokey and had strawberry flavors, and I felt like there were too many tannins. I do not think I would buy this wine, but if someone gave it to me for free (and with food) I would give it a second shot.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment