Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Tasting- Paulo Laureano Classico Alentejano Tinto

The final wine I tried at the Vintage Cellar was the  Paulo Laureano Classico Alentejano Tinto. This wine is from the Alentejo region of Portugal and http://www.weinarkaden.de says that the grapes are Trincadeira Aragonez picked in 2010. The Vintage Cellar sells this wine for $9.95. Every single wine I sampled on Saturday was definitely in my price range for wine. There were some that I would definitely want to try again, but with food instead of just alone. This wine would be one of them. The Vintage Cellar described this wine as "soft" with "silky tannins" and an "elegant long finish. They definitely got it spot on with respect to the tannins. All I noticed when drinking this wine, was my mouth drying out and it lasting a long time. It would probably have been a lot more flavorful with food to bring out the properties that were masked by all the tannins. I really didn't even find much to describe about the smell. Although, this was probably more a function of me not having a strong basis for describing wine smells yet. This wine was pretty good, but definitely not something I would want to drink without some sort of food to go with it.
Overall, my first wine tasting (and wine week!) went pretty well! I tried a bunch of different wines and really started exploring how the flavors and smells can be so different. Probably the worst thing about trying these wines was having to try them during the morning when I was in no way ready to be drinking.
I'm going to be going to a lot more wine tastings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment